Call 305-282-5408 to reach our Volunteer Coordinators
The hostel has been an active member of Break Away since 2003.
We are dedicated to provide the Alternative Breaks movement with quality service opportunities and resources for site leaders to plan THE BEST BREAK EVER!!!
All our “Service Sites” are free of site fees!
- Fees for Lodging at the hostel include:
- A dedicated volunteer coordinator
- Spaces for “Reflection”, famous in the ASB world
- A 24 hour access Kitchen with everything you need to cook but the food…
- Pots; Pans; serving plates and utensils;
- Oils and Spices plus a fresh herb garden;
- Coffee and teas;
- A Free All-U-Can Make & Eat Pancake Breakfast
- Refrigerators for groups
- Stoves and ovens
- Every Participant gets their own bed with Pillows and Blankets
- Hot Showers- most dorm rooms have bathrooms some are shared
- Spectacular example of a barren city lot turned into a tropical jungle by volunteers from around the world!
- Waterfall for cooling off after a long day of service
- A “Ropes Course” Style Tree House complete with wooden bridge and basket to haul your things up high!
Start Planning Early for Alternative Spring Break Groups. Our hostel can be full by October for the next years Spring break!
Contact our group coordinator Owhnn at (305) 282 – 5408 as soon as our location is in the running for a possible site. Owhnn will be happy to answer all of your questions and guide you through the planning process.
As soon as you receive your “Service Site Coordinators” contact info we urge you to initiate planning your service projects. In keeping with Break Away’s model of creating “Active Citizens” we give site leaders guidance; local tips and are always available but the planning is the challenge! Site Leaders will do most of the work and we will help when hit a bump!
Use our info below for presentations, an easy scroll for point by point presentations.
Our Hostel offers the blueprint for all your groups needs!
The Kitchen House with 24 hour access.
Fully stocked with oils, spices, fresh herb garden, coffee, pots and pans and serving ware. You can cook all your meals. Most groups get their own refrigerator or will share with one other group. All you can make and eat pancake breakfast!
Barbecue Grill and Authentic Cobb Oven.
Make the best wood fired pizza in our Cobb Oven!
Spacious Dorm Rooms that sleep from 4 to 10 participants. All our dorms are unique in decor. Custom made bunk beds with mattresses, pillows and blankets. Most have bathrooms in the dorms 2 have shared bathrooms.
Private rooms with shared bathrooms are also available.
Spaces for Reflection.
The Gazebo and many other spaces in the garden are perfect for reflection or group activities.
Waterfall and Tropical Gardens.
A true Urban Oasis! Cool off in the waterfall at the end a long service day, relax in the hammocks and rope tree house!
Food shopping made easy!
WalMart is just around the corner and open 24 hours a day.
Publix and Sedano’s are just 2 miles away for groups that avoid WalMart
The hostel is always open to international backpackers, a great way to meet people from all around the world right here in your own backyard!
The hostel avoids taking groups we feel may have a more party approach to their break. Only Alternative Spring Break Groups and Educational Groups in April March and February. Although the Backpackers may be drinking responsibly the hostel never has that spring break atmosphere that ASB’s avoid!
Service opportunities include:
- Everglades National Park
- Biscayne National Park
- Everglades Outpost Wildlife Refugee
- Florida Keys Wild Bird Center
- Good Hope Equestrian Center (work with disabled and challenged youth)
- Homestead Soup Kitchen
- Monkey Jungle (A Primate Research Center and Educational facility)
- John Pennekamp State Park
Start Planning Early for Spring Break Groups. Our hostel can be full by October for the next years Spring break!
More Group Links